Wednesday

Urban Dance League Coming this Summer!

Founded by AntBoogie of the Amount Boyz, Urban Dance League is an exciting new sport to hit the hip hop arena.  UDL brings athleticism, competition and a point system to dance-just like you see in the NFL or NBA!  I had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Ant about UDL and its launch this June.  Check out what he had to say about this revolutionary sport:

"I consider dancers athletes."

I’m very excited about the Launch of Urban Dance League. The Urban Dance League (UDL) is a professional sports league of organized street-dance battles, classes, and shows.  UDL hosts two types of seasons, one for the B League (Battle League) and one for the C League (Class League). The U.D.L was created to produce dancers in reaching a professional status through a Sport/athletic world. My entire life I have considered dancers athletes. We train for years, countless sessions, practice and rehearsals. Surived injuries, had treatments, go to school to further our craft, and more. I would find it hard for someone to disagree when stating DANCERS are ALTHELES


"Show business has criteria that 
some dancers don't fit into"


Sports is all forms of competitive physical activity, which through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. That is the foundation of the U.D.L.  In these current times reaching a professional career in the dance world is not always determined by skill and hard work. Show business has criteria that some dancers do not fit into. But in the Sport/Athletic world you are rewarded for hard work and your skill. Don’t get me wrong I love show business; it has been kind to me. I have had a blessed career. That is why it has been my dream to be apart of launching Urban Dance League. 
I have seen the places I can help improve our community and the craft. I started out as a street dancer. In the 90’s our crew AmountBoyz danced around Times Square and in the train stations to make money. So before my career started I was rewarded from the supporters and even fans of dance for the skill we possessed. Street performing in New York City you could not rely on your psychical looks. It didn’t matter if you knew the owner. It didn’t matter if you were on the same street the week before. All that mattered for you to be rewarded were skills. I brought this up because that is a huge element I miss within the dance world. We are going to take things to another level. 


We are launching the Urban Dance League June 6th 2012. I think its cool that another league was founded June 6th 1946 here in New York City. They’re known today as the N.B.A. 


The sky is the Limit for U.D.L Stay tuned.

"You got the skills, you get the points!"

For more information visit UDL's website, follow them on twitter, and like their page on FB!

No comments:

Post a Comment